[Cryptography] [RNG] /dev/random initialisation

James A. Donald jamesd at echeque.com
Mon Nov 4 22:40:40 EST 2013

On 2013-11-03 05:49, Jerry Leichter wrote:
 > That's not the NSA - it's Microsoft.  This pattern has been reported
 > befor; it's the result of Microsoft searching for "evil" URL's
 > (those that have drive-by malware, mainly, though I suppose they
 > look for other stuff, too).  See
 > http://www.tomsguide.com/us/Malware-Spam-Skype-Reading-Messages-URLs
 > ,news-17036.html for one discussion.

  Which tells us:

	"This automated process undoubtedly helps protect Skype users
	 from clicking on links to phishing sites or those packed with
	 malware"

Since the hit came a long time after the message, it would not have
been useful in protecting the recipient from clicking on links to
phishing sites.

Therefore, not its purpose.