[Cryptography] DNSSEC = completely unnecessary?

Guido Witmond guido at witmond.nl
Mon Nov 4 13:10:36 EST 2013

On 11/04/13 18:57, Martin Paljak wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 4, 2013 at 12:14 PM, Guido Witmond <guido at witmond.nl> wrote:
>> If you don't trust your chosen CA, ie, it might be coerced to sign a
>> fake cert by an 'authority', create your own Root Key (on a smart card)
>> and use that for your server certificate.
>
> If it only would be that easy...
> What would this fix if I don't trust the smart card(s)?

You could try a GPG-card if the standard x509 cards from the big vendors
might not have your approval.

There is also the option of a hsm module, by some other big vendors.

Or you could use a cheap laptop from some generations ago and use it as
your root CA. Make sure you open the case and disable the wifi,
bluetooth and microphone :-)

At least with DNSSEC and DANE, we have the choice of options back to the
domain owner.

Regards, Guido.