[Cryptography] DNSSEC = completely unnecessary?

Greg greg at kinostudios.com
Mon Nov 4 10:33:11 EST 2013

> It's true as we bolt more and more stuff into HTTP Headers (HSTS,
> Public Key Pinning, etc) the value of DNSSEC _for HTTPS_ goes down.
> But there is still value there to be gained for other protocols,
> nearly all of which bootstrap off DNS.

I'm curious, what are these other protocols, and why can't they be secured simply by using SSL/TLS + some type of cert. verification?

Let's say that they can, and that it takes 1000 man hours to do this. Let's also assume that it takes 10x as much time to implement widespread DNSSEC use. Then why are we wasting all those man hours on implementing DNSSEC instead of using them to add SSL/TLS + cert. verification to other protocols?

Why is anyone still using HTTP?!? It's 2013!

Why does it cost any money to get an HTTPS cert?

These seem like more pressing problems to me.

- Greg