[Cryptography] What's a Plausible Attack On Random Number Generation?

Yaron Sheffer yaronf.ietf at gmail.com
Sat Nov 2 06:50:06 EDT 2013

On 2013-11-01 22:45, John Denker wrote:
> On 11/01/2013 04:04 AM, Yaron Sheffer wrote:
>> It sounds like a quick addition to DHCP - an extension that gets you
>> 256 bits from the server, would solve 99% of the problem we have with
>> embedded devices. It will not be sufficient for high-security
>> environments, because an attacker might be listening on the local
>> LAN, but it will provide the entropy we need to initialize SSH, TLS,
>> IPsec. And it is much better than relying on fixed information (MAC
>> address etc.) and a few bits of timing.
>>
>> Looks very much like an "implement it, standardize it and forget it"
>> kind of thing to me.
>
> Alas, that leaves important parts of the problem unsolved.  We
> cannot "forget it" until we solve the whole problem.
>
> For example:  SSH has to cut host keys when it is first used
> (if not before).  This requires a lot of high-quality randomly-
> distributed bits.  There are a gazillion scenarios where this
> has to happen /before/ the first DHCP happens.  For example,
> I might need to "ssh root at localhost" in order to configure DHCP.

I'm probably missing something obvious, but why is "ssh localhost" part
of your standard routine? I've never had to use it, I can always either
use "sudo" or simply login as root from a console.

Also, desktop distros are often preconfigured with DHCP. For servers,
even if you don't take your IP from DHCP, you can request other
parameters (and my hypothetical random extension) with a DHCPINFORM message.

Thanks,
	Yaron