[Cryptography] QUANTUM, QFIRE, etc.

Nemo nemo at self-evident.org
Tue Dec 31 14:16:05 EST 2013

I saw some discussion of the Q Division -- er, I mean "ANT Division" --
gadgetry, but I have not seen mention of these new QUANTUM slides on
this list:

http://leaksource.wordpress.com/2013/12/30/nsa-quantum-files/

Sure, physical bugs in your monitor/keyboard/USB cable are neat, but the
Internet-wide surveillance is a lot more disturbing, in my opinion. Or,
as I like to phrase it, there is a huge and important difference
betweent the power to spy on *anybody* and the power to spy on
*everybody*. (Admittedly, the line blurs when systems subject to
"targeted" attacks run into the hundreds of thousands...)

Anyway, the QFIRE slides are perhaps the most interesting. I
particularly liked the bit about using "Non-cooperative Wireless Access
Points" to achieve low-latency payload injection on hijacked TCP
connections.

 - Nemo
   https://self-evident.org/