[Cryptography] What is a secure conversation? (Was: online forums...)

Jerry Leichter leichter at lrw.com
Mon Dec 30 14:26:23 EST 2013

On Dec 30, 2013, at 11:06 AM, Theodore Ts'o <tytso at mit.edu> wrote:
> Who is "the business" and why do they get to decide who to appoint?
> How does this apply to all of our open source technologies, such as
> OpenSSH, OpenSSL, the Linux /dev/random driver, etc?  In the case of
> the RSA business, they chose Bart Harman as their CTO, who is
> presumably "the decider".  Given his recent statements, does that make
> you feel any more comfortable?
I think you meant Bret Hartman.  He was CTO at RSA from 2007 until he left (for Cisco) in 2010.  Long after the decisions on Dual EC RNG; long before Snowdonia.  So I'm not sure which of his recent statements you have in mind.

BTW, Bret is not a crypto-type, just as RSA is not (or hasn't been for many years) a crypto company.  He's an enterprise security guy.  (He "wrote the book" on web services security - e.g., http://www.wiley.com/WileyCDA/WileyTitle/productCd-0471267163.html - having been involved in the development of some of the XML-related security standards.  When I knew him - late 2000's - he'd come to regret the way much of that work ended up - bloated and extremely heavy-weight.)
                                                        -- Jerry