[Cryptography] On Security Architecture, The Panopticon, And "The Law"

Lodewijk andré de la porte l at odewijk.nl
Sat Dec 28 19:06:46 EST 2013

2013/12/28 Russ Nelson <nelson at crynwr.com>

> The hashing thing is just a way to distribute bitcoin more-or-less
> fairly at the beginning -- and we're still at the beginning.

In a system without discrimination, but fair is worlds away.

> Satoshi is more of an economist than a cryptographer.

He solved a consensus problem and applied it to finance. He thought
strongly of how to make it popular, and introduced this insanely strong
early adopter advantage. After that all else becomes secondary, those
initial people will push the product knowing the potential gains.

He definitely cared a lot about anonymity too, and all those other things
that come with anonymous money. But he failed to make that.

I think overall he should be pretty disappointed with his production. The
rate of adoption for purposes other than speculation is also disappointing.