[Cryptography] What do we know? (Was 'We cannot trust' ...)

Bill Frantz frantz at pwpconsult.com
Sat Dec 28 13:56:59 EST 2013

On 12/28/13 at 10:17 AM, brg at gladman.plus.com (Brian Gladman) wrote:

>Following on from this, Honeywell was funded by Dod to produce a new
>secure computer system (called SCOMP) and this again received
>certification.  But it was never deployed (AFAIK) because it was
>realised that the costs of ongoing support would fall entirely on DoD.

There is an amusing story about SCOMP. SCOMP was designed to get
an A1 security rating, and after jumping through all the hoops
actually received that rating. Somewhat after that, someone
discovered a quite high bandwidth covert channel in SCOMP. One
of the developers was heard to quip, "I don't want to call is
secure. I just want to call it A1."

Cheer - Bill

Bill Frantz        | The first thing you need when  | Periwinkle
(408)356-8506      | using a perimeter defense is a | 16345
Englewood Ave
www.pwpconsult.com | perimeter.                     | Los Gatos,
CA 95032