[Cryptography] Fwd: [IP] RSA Response to Media Claims Regarding NSA Relationship

Jerry Leichter leichter at lrw.com
Thu Dec 26 14:33:47 EST 2013

On Dec 26, 2013, at 3:57 AM, ianG <iang at iang.org> wrote:
> For the business folk, [the purchase of RSA by EMC] is called cash cow.  Likely, you'll find that EMC purchased the company for its deal flow, and under-invested. They've probably made their money back by now.
Having been in a position to hear about some of this near the time in happened: Getting RSA to actually make sustainable amounts of money was a challenge.  It's another example of the difficulty of selling security products.  People see the costs, but it's very hard to prove the benefits.

Things have changed a bit, but it's *still* a tough sell.  Best quote on the subject from a big buyer's point of view:  I don't want to buy security products.  I want to buy *secure* products.

And he was absolutely right.  (Unfortunately, the reality is that the customer wants secure products - at no additional cost, financial or otherwise.  And a pony.)
                                                        -- Jerry