[Cryptography] Passwords are dying - get over it

Jonathan Thornburg jthorn at astro.indiana.edu
Wed Dec 25 14:05:40 EST 2013

I wrote:
> >What are the advantages & disadvantages of this (diceware) vs the old
> >"think of a long sentence or phrase, and take the 1st letter of each
> >word"
> >scheme.  E.g. "FDR was elected to 3 full terms as US president & also
> >served part of a 4th term, but he was never vice-president" gives
> >  Fwet3ftaUp&aspoa4t,bhwnv-p

On Wed, 25 Dec 2013, Kent Borg replied:
> My problem is the "think of" part, I want a password that has
> been built from random data, not something I dreamed up.  If the
> phrase really is memorable, it might be from The Lord of The Rings,
> and so part of a cracker list. (Your example appears not to be.)

You're right.  I should have written "a long sentence or phrase
which is *unique*, i.e., something that noone has ever written before"
Anything that's part of some larger body of text (whether dead-trees
or online) is verboten.

> If it is something you made up and no one could anticipate, will
> it be memorable enough? Will you mess up a comma or preposition?

It seems to me to be a modest improvement on the "sequence of
semantically-unrelated-words" scheme.

My (geek) experience is that for passwords which are used *often*
(say multiple times per day) memorization happens automagically.
So... such a scheme can be used for the (strong) master password which
unlocks a password manager; the latter can be used to hold all the other
passwords with which one is plagued.

Of course, this requires a strong password manager, a robust (encrypted)
backup scheme for the password-manager database, and probably various
other fundamentally-doable-but-all-tricky-for-non-geeks tasks which
have slipped my mind right at the moment.

I don't know how well or poorly this will work for non-geeks.

On the optimistic side: even <stereotype exemplar of nontechnical
computer user> probably knows a great many details about *something*
(maybe the history of the 1953 playoffs in <sport>, maybe 8 generations
of family geneology, maybe the social life of every TV starlet of
the past decade, but most humans have passionate interests in
*something*).  Using the 1st-letter-of-each-word scheme, that
"something" could be the topic underlying a fairly-memorable strong
password.

On the pessimistic side: I fear that this (together with the use of a
good password manager and robust encrypted backups for same) is asking
for more mental effort than [the quite small amount] the median computer
user is willing to exert.

Along these lines, the classic
  Whitten & Tygar
  "Why Johnny can't Encrypt: A Usability Evaluation of PGP 5.0"
  8th Usenix Security Symposium, 1999
  http://www.usenix.org/publications/library/proceedings/sec99/full_papers/whitten/whitten.pdf
is very salutory, and well worth rereading every so often.

--
-- "Jonathan Thornburg [remove -animal to reply]" <jthorn at astro.indiana-zebra.edu>
   Dept of Astronomy & IUCSS, Indiana University, Bloomington, Indiana, USA