[Cryptography] how reliably do audits spot backdoors?

Benjamin Kreuter brk7bx at virginia.edu
Wed Dec 25 12:35:21 EST 2013

On Wed, 25 Dec 2013 17:57:18 +1000
"James A. Donald" <jamesd at echeque.com> wrote:

>  > "James A. Donald" <jamesd at echeque.com> wrote:
> >> To me that is totally intuitive and natural,
>
> On 2013-12-25 11:48, Benjamin Kreuter wrote:
> > 1. You just referred to *undefined behavior* as "intuitive."
>
> That the sum of two positive numbers is a negative number is defined
> behavior, word length being defined.

Signed integer overflow is undefined behavior in C.

> >> You get the higher level language problem that the libraries are
> >> slightly different on each machine, which results in nightmare
> >> installations.
>
> > Are you claiming that the situation is worse than it is in C?
>
> Observe, that pretty much every program written in C simply installs,
> and pretty much every program written in python simply does not.

Really?  Installing C programs is generally a matter of following this
pattern:

./configure

(find missing dependency)

./configure

(find missing dependency of dependency)

make

(figure out why it didn't compile)

make

make install

./configure

(find another missing dependency)

Is that what you call "simply installing?"  I call that a nightmare of
tracking down libraries and dependencies, no different from the
nightmare one would face with software written in any other language.
That is why so much effort was put into repository systems and
installer programs.

-- Ben

--
Benjamin R Kreuter
KK4FJZ

--

"If large numbers of people are interested in freedom of speech, there
will be freedom of speech, even if the law forbids it; if public