[Cryptography] What do we know? (Was 'We cannot trust' ...)

Sandy Harris sandyinchina at gmail.com
Mon Dec 23 23:45:10 EST 2013

Jerry Leichter <leichter at lrw.com> wrote:

> In any case, as others have pointed out here:  Until Snowdonia, the general attitude of  big business - the customers for BSAFE - would have been "I don't care that the NSA can read my stuff, they're the good guys, they don't get involved in commerce, I have nothing to hide from them."

That might be the case for many big businesses, especially US
companies, but it clearly would not be for someone like Airbus who
compete directly against US firms with ties to the Defense Department.
Or for foreign governments who are also potential customers. There are
various other cases for big business, and RSA want to sell to smaller
businesses too, so it is hard to estimate how badly this hurts the
company.