[Cryptography] Passwords are dying - get over it

Guido Witmond guido at witmond.nl
Mon Dec 23 16:26:21 EST 2013

On 12/23/13 10:00, Alec Muffett wrote:
> On 22 December 2013 16:09, Bill Frantz <frantz at pwpconsult.com
> <mailto:frantz at pwpconsult.com>> wrote:
>
>     Using passwords securely is inconvenient. You need a different
>     password for each site because of the risk of site compromise. It is
>     insecure to use variants of a common base because they are too easy
>     to guess once one of them is known.
>

> All of the disbenefits of passwords are the same as their benefits, bar
> one, as explained here:
>
>     http://dropsafe.crypticide.com/muffett-passwords

If get people to deploy software on their devices, please let them use
anonymous client certificates. All the benefits of passwords, none of
the downsides.

Make sure you have a different private key for each site.

It even can help to solve the MitM problem that passwords cannot.

Regards, Guido.

PS. I call it eccentric-authentication.org.