[Cryptography] Fwd: [IP] RSA Response to Media Claims Regarding NSA Relationship

Phillip Hallam-Baker hallam at gmail.com
Mon Dec 23 08:30:09 EST 2013

On Mon, Dec 23, 2013 at 12:08 AM, Bill Cox <waywardgeek at gmail.com> wrote:

> Does this mean RSA denies accepting $10M for making the NSA RNG the
> default in BSAFE?  You did not say so in your post.  So now RSA "categorically
> denies" entering into a secret contract with the NSA.  If it wasn't secret,
> why didn't I hear about it?  I'm pretty sure it would have made the geek
> news, and I may not be a crypto expert, but I follow geek news (slashdot
> would have burned RSA alive).
>
> I think I get that RSA employees have been duped by the NSA.  It's the
> NSA's job after all, and they have smart people, apparently smarter than
> many RSA employees.  I don't get any sense that RSA might have made any
> mistakes from your post.  Your post seems like something a corporate lawyer
> wrote.  I hate that, and I have good personal reasons for it.

I remember RSA getting money from the NSA to put ECC into BSafe.

It may not have been very public, but it was known in the industry. I was
working for a competitor and the natural question was 'hey can we get some
of that'. But they did put out a press release that I cited earlier.

The significant part here is that it moves the start of the DUAL_EC program
back to 2004. Which was when Hayden, not Alexander was running the show.

--
Website: http://hallambaker.com/