[Cryptography] BitCoin Question - This may not be the best place to ask

Steve Weis steveweis at gmail.com
Sun Dec 22 16:50:02 EST 2013

On Sat, Dec 21, 2013 at 5:45 PM, Robert Christian
<robertjchristian at gmail.com> wrote:
> What’s to stop someone from gaming the system and creating millions of wallets, increasing their odds of accidental deposits?  If nothing else you could conceive of a DOS attack of sorts, where the addresses are all burned up.  This seems like a major flaw to me.

Bitcoin addresses are hashes of ECDSA key pairs:
https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Technical_background_of_Bitcoin_addresses

If by "burning up" addresses you mean generating every key pair and
storing it, that's not going to be feasible since Bitcoin uses
Secp256k1 with 256-bit private keys.