[Cryptography] What do we know? (Was 'We cannot trust' ...)

andrew cooke andrew at acooke.org
Sat Dec 21 17:21:23 EST 2013

On Sat, Dec 21, 2013 at 12:59:25PM -0500, Phillip Hallam-Baker wrote:
> The deal was reported at the time, I heard it as 'NSA pays RSA $10 million
> to make ECC available in BSafe'. Which was not at all surprising given that
> we know RSA2048 (maybe RSA4096) is the end of the line for practical RSA.

do you have any reference for that?  i am trying to find support using
google's search with date constraints, but am not finding anything.

the nsa paid $25m for certicom's patents according to
http://www.securityfocus.com/columnists/324 - maybe that is what you remember?

all the reports on the $10m deal emphasise that it is new information; if it
was reportd at the time then that is quite significant.

andrew