[Cryptography] Decentralized, global, irreversible, transaction database...

Bill Cox waywardgeek at gmail.com
Sat Dec 21 09:50:22 EST 2013

This is a fantastic idea.  I've been noodling this a bit, as I'm sure many
people are doing.  For example, we could use such a system to fix a problem
with authenticating public keys.  We typically use "trustworthy"
authorities, like the MIT GPG key server, but if the authority has been
compromised, users might wind up using bogus public keys, or keys that have
been revoked.

With nothing but the ability to publish Merkel hash roots and URLs, we
could replace the central authority with a BitCoin-like somewhat
decentralized authority.  I would simply publish a 256 bit hash root and a
URL to the on-line archive of my valid public keys (or whatever other data
I want to publish).  Any key not listed there would have been revoked.  It
may not be perfectly secure, but I think it would be a big improvement.

Another application I am interested in is publishing stuff in on-line
games.  For example, if my server grants your character an awesome item,
and you would like your character to be able to use that on other servers,
then the other servers could check if that item is currently valid in the
public database.  Security for things like virtual game items is a lot
harder than you might think.  Nothing gets kids hacking servers like good
game stuff.  A system strong enough for real money should be strong enough
for virtual game items.