[Cryptography] The next generation secure email solution

Phillip Hallam-Baker hallam at gmail.com
Wed Dec 18 15:22:47 EST 2013

Guido's scheme is very similar to the one I am planning to build in stage 2
of my system. In fact if he wants to build his system he could use stage 1
of mine as a development platform.

But I do think it is important to acknowledge one of the lessons we learned
in spam control: the bad guys will exploit every feedback channel.

So when we are dealing with reports of violations of protocols we have to
be ready for attackers making false complaints. Many early spam blacklists
that had 'zero tolerance' policies lost credibility very quickly as people
would sign up for mailing lists for the purpose of reporting the source as
a spammer. Some of the malicious reports were intended to sabotage
political or commercial rivals. But quite a few were made to discredit the
lists themselves.

The trust problem is very easy if you have some form of ground truth to
reference. But no such ground truth exists.