[Cryptography] International Cryptography Day

Phillip Hallam-Baker hallam at gmail.com
Fri Dec 13 13:45:23 EST 2013

If we are going to get people to take notice of what we are doing we need
to think about outreach. Which got me thinking about International
Cryptography Day.

In one version of events this would be the day that people descend on Apple
and Microsoft stores in the shopping malls to demand security that actually
works. In an alternative version Microsoft, Apple, etc. get on board and
hold workshops on how to use their security features. Either way consumers
get the chance to demonstrate that they do care about cryptography.

It would also be a deadline by which people who are going to build
something for the show and tell they will need to have built it by then.

As far as timing goes I think we need at least six months to get ready and
get people on board which puts us in the summer vacation period. Putting
the event at the start of the vacation gives college students a chance to
show off the projects they built during the previous semester or get fired
up and spend the rest of the summer writing something.

The main date to avoid would be July 4th (for obvious reasons) and it would
have to be well before the Black Hat PR machine starts.

I would prefer it to be a weekday over a weekend because media events work
better on a weekday.

If nobody has a better suggestion, I am thinking July 18th (my birthday) or
July 11th. I am thinking of a Friday because Friday prayers is a time when
a lot of people are meeting in the populations we need to reach.

--
Website: http://hallambaker.com/