[Cryptography] Size of the PGP userbase?

Stephan Neuhaus stephan.neuhaus at tik.ee.ethz.ch
Fri Dec 13 03:27:35 EST 2013

On 12/13/2013 12:29 AM, Jon Callas wrote:
> First of all, people have to actually care. There are lots of systems
> that are extremely easy to use if people actually care.
>
> For example, there's Enigmail for Thunderbird.

I'm using Enigmail for Thunderbird and I would challenge the implication
that it is "extremely easy to use" for people who care. I recently told
the story on this list of how I use two different private keys on one
account and would like to use one for some recipients, and the other for
everyone else.  Except fiddling with the preferences every fricking
time, I found no way of doing this.

That's not "extremely easy to use".  I'm not saying that it is the fault
of the Enigmail developers for not foreseeing such a use case (because
it probably *is* very rare), but it's not "extremely easy to use".

Fun,

Stephan