[Cryptography] Kindle as crypto hardware

ianG iang at iang.org
Wed Dec 11 06:27:29 EST 2013

On 11/12/13 09:22 AM, Russ Nelson wrote:
> John Gilmore writes:
>   > What ever happened to those old Java-rings or iButtons with the 1-wire
>   > interface?  They were designed for almost exactly this application.

Yes, designed but never demanded.  This is the old /design a better
smartcard moustrap and they'll beat a pathway to your door/.  And yes,
the iButton was basically a variant on the smartcard.

People want their iToy to do everything.  When contemplating a smartcard
or an iButton, the thought was either that (A) you plug your thing into
the network (ATM, POS, etc) and it would work, or (B) you would plug
your thing into your own personal device (laptop, iPhone, Android or
Palm Pilot for those who remember).

Case A succeeded in a thing called Chip&PIN but the lead time was
decades and the rollout cost is in the billions.  So it only happens in
a totally controlled market.  I'm not even sure it has reached US of A yet.

Case B never succeeded because a system that did it all on the personal
device always wins in the marketplace over a system that requires two
devices.

iang