[Cryptography] Fwd: [IP] 'We cannot trust' Intel and Via's chip-based crypto, FreeBSD developers say

Bill Cox waywardgeek at gmail.com
Tue Dec 10 21:35:39 EST 2013

I just had an email asking about possible patent issues with using
Intel's entropy circuit.  Well, IANAL, but I skimmed the 86 patents
Intel has so far that mention RNG, and they don't cover the entropy
source.  They did patent all the crud they do to the data once it leaves
the entropy source, but I think no one will mind if I don't do any of
that.  I've read a ton of patents, and am listed as an inventor on 25.
I could be wrong, but I doubt it.

So, feel free to copy Intel's back-to-back inverter entropy source, at
least until they publish a patent that does cover it.

I think my main concerns using Intel's back-to-back inverters as an RNG
is how to fix it... connecting the inverters supply through a clocked
PMOS directly to VDD is stupid.  I'd be very surprised if they actually
did that.  Hopefully I wont violate any patents while figuring out how
to fix that.