[Cryptography] Fwd: [IP] 'We cannot trust' Intel and Via's chip-based crypto, FreeBSD developers say

Lodewijk andré de la porte l at odewijk.nl
Tue Dec 10 16:24:18 EST 2013

We need an alternative for the tooth fairy. The alternative will pop up
from every corner you didnt' check personally, or didn't check well enough.
It's quite hard to see. Sometimes it might be the very lightbulb that
lights the room!

I'm not sure why it's so bad that the alternative shouldn't be present.
Maybe because you can never quite expect. Sometimes he listens to you and
tells your mom, or girlfriend. Sometimes he fuzzes your paperwork around
when you're not looking. Sometimes he jumps out of hiding and hits you
square in the balls. He leaves you mostly intact though, just hurts you in
some terrible merciless way.

It symbolizes the presence of a dangerous mistake. It should inspire
scrupulous checking of the room you enter or leave. It should inspire not
having anything in the room to make the chance at mistakes less.

Then the one little black box with the big Intel logo on the side. That's
going to be just as suspicious as I always thought this whole
hardware-crypto stuff seemed.