[Cryptography] Kindle as crypto hardware

Devin Reade gdr at gno.org
Wed Dec 4 19:05:48 EST 2013

Quoting Phillip Hallam-Baker <hallam at gmail.com>:

> What I really want from a crypto key management device is that it be
>
> * Small and light
> * Have processor and display capabilities
> * Be possible to control the operating system build completely
> * Be cheap enough to be a burner machine

I was researching various hardware for a similar purpose recently and
came across the Pandora:
   <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pandora_%28console%29>
   <http://www.open-pandora.org/>

One thing that I like about it is the lack of a cell connection.
It still has wifi, which may be good or bad, depending on your
perspective.

A quick perusal doesn't show a hardware RNG, but it looks like
there's other hardware on it that may be suitable for entropy-gathering
(without wanting to continue to flog that particular horse).

At over 400 euros, though, it may not satisfy your "cheap enough"
criteria, though, depending on where your pain point is.

Devin