[Cryptography] Kindle as crypto hardware

Phillip Hallam-Baker hallam at gmail.com
Wed Dec 4 14:58:50 EST 2013

On Wed, Dec 4, 2013 at 2:48 PM, Peter Saint-Andre <stpeter at stpeter.im>wrote:

> Hi Phil, a few questions about your feature-set...
>
> On 12/3/13 9:39 PM, Phillip Hallam-Baker wrote:
> > What I really want from a crypto key management device is that it
> > be
> >
> > * Small and light
>
> This implies that you want it to be mobile. What problems does that
> solve for you?

Has to fit in a tamper-proof evidence bag, should be small enough to store
in a safe.

Light is really a proxy for 'easy to destroy verifiably and completely'. My
preferred method involves a transparent jig and a belt sander.

Anything with a hard drive is an utter pain.

> > * Have processor and display capabilities * Be possible to control
> > the operating system build completely * Be cheap enough to be a
> > burner machine
>
> I agree on the last two.
>
> I still think the ideal key management device is something like what
> Perry sketched out on this list several months ago: a cheap, small
> device (like a Raspberry Pi) that I can place in my house and interact
> with directly via wired or near-field communication (the display could
> be on any other device I own). I don't see the need to take it with
> me, and in fact I'd prefer that it be at home so that I know it's as
> physically secure as other things I own.

I think the Pi is good for some purposes. But it does not come with a
display or input device.

--
Website: http://hallambaker.com/