[Cryptography] Email is securable within a coterie [was: Email is unsecurable]

StealthMonger StealthMonger at nym.mixmin.net
Tue Dec 3 14:59:24 EST 2013

ianG <iang at iang.org> writes:

> On 25/11/13 13:07 PM, StealthMonger wrote:
>> ianG <iang at iang.org> writes:
>>> But, there are other reasons...
>>> For example, consider traffic analysis or metadata or mass surveillance...
>>> Then, look at the design of email...
>>> Then, webmail...
>>> Then, the assumptions of email...
>>> Hence, I've concluded that email is unsecurable.

>> None of these objections apply to mail within a coterie (as most email
>> is) where the parties agree out of band to suppress non-essential
>> headers and to properly use anonymizing remailers and message pools.

> I entirely agree that if you put all that in place, it will work.  Mail
> is theoretically securable.

> What I would question is whether we can agree on how to get to that
> place (IETF committees, PHB v. Dark Alliance, S/MIME v. PGP, etc etc),

But we're there now!  Have been for over 15 years!  The well-known
mixmaster remailer network and the Usenet alt.anonymous.messages message
pool.  No need to wait for IETF or anything.

--

 -- StealthMonger <StealthMonger at nym.mixmin.net>
    Long, random latency is part of the price of Internet anonymity.

   anonget: Is this anonymous browsing, or what?
   http://groups.google.ws/group/alt.privacy.anon-server/msg/073f34abb668df33?dmode=source&output=gplain

   stealthmail: Hide whether you're doing email, or when, or with whom.
   mailto:stealthsuite at nym.mixmin.net?subject=send%20index.html

Key: mailto:stealthsuite at nym.mixmin.net?subject=send%20stealthmonger-key