[Cryptography] Crypto being blamed in the London riots.

Sampo Syreeni decoy at iki.fi
Tue Aug 9 20:02:28 EDT 2011

On 2011-08-09, Nick wrote:

> However, as was pointed out then, apparently the encryption is to &
> from RIM's servers, not the recipient. So RIM have access to all the
> 'secret' messages. I expect GCHQ & the Met will make sure said systems
> are patched in to their surveillance programme in no time.

Thus, why not turn the Trusted Computing idea on its head? Simply make
P2P public key cryptography available to your customers, and then bind
your hands behind your back in an Odysseian fasion, using hardware
means? Simply make it impossible for even yourself to circumvent the
best cryptographic protocol you can invent, which you embed in your
device before ever unveiling it, and then just live with it?

> Unfortunately the present climate in England is such that I can't
> imagine such measures being anything but lauded.

Thus the need for credible precommitment, TC-style, at the hardware
level..
--
Sampo Syreeni, aka decoy - decoy at iki.fi, http://decoy.iki.fi/front
+358-50-5756111, 025E D175 ABE5 027C 9494 EEB0 E090 8BA9 0509 85C2