English 19-year-old jailed for refusal to disclose decryption key

Bernie Cosell bernie at fantasyfarm.com
Thu Oct 7 13:10:12 EDT 2010

On 7 Oct 2010 at 12:05, Jerry Leichter wrote:

> > What about http://www.truecrypt.org/docs/?s=plausible-deniability
> > Could this be used?
> Sure. And the technology used would have no effect on the standard
 ... used in court:

I think you're not getting the trick here: with truecrypt's plausible
deniability hack you *CAN* give them the password and they *CAN* decrypt
the file [or filesystem].  BUT: it is a double encryption setup.  If you
use one password only some of it gets decrypted, if you use the other
password all of it is decrypted.  There's no way to tell if you used the
first password that you didn't decrypt everything.  So in theory you
could hide the nasty stuff behind the second passsword, a ton of innocent
stuff behind the first password and just give them the first password
when asked.  In practice, I dunno if it really works or will really let
you slide by.

  /Bernie\

mailto:bernie at fantasyfarm.com     Pearisburg, VA