Formal notice given of rearrangement of deck chairs on RMS PKItanic

Peter Gutmann pgut001 at cs.auckland.ac.nz
Wed Oct 6 23:29:41 EDT 2010

Victor Duchovni <Victor.Duchovni at morganstanley.com> writes:

>What are "EE certs", did you mean "EV"?

End-entity certs, i.e. non-CA certs.  This means that potentially after the
end of this year and definitely after 2013 it will not be possible to use any
key shorted than 2048 bits with Firefox.  Anyone using, for example, an
embedded device adminstered via SSL will have to use another browser.

>From the discussion on the Mozilla policy list I get the impression that this
move has been given pretty much zero thought beyond "we need to do what NIST
wants".

Peter.