Law Enforcement Appliance Subverts SSL

dan at geer.org dan at geer.org
Thu Mar 25 08:58:33 EDT 2010

Rui Paulo writes:
-+---------------
 | http://www.wired.com/threatlevel/2010/03/packet-forensics/
 |
 | "At a recent wiretapping convention however, security researcher Chris =
 | Soghoian discovered that a small company was marketing internet spying =
 | boxes to the feds designed to intercept those communications, without =
 | breaking the encryption, by using forged security certificates, instead =
 | of the real ones that websites use to verify secure connections. To use =
 | the appliance, the government would need to acquire a forged certificate =
 |  from any one of more than 100 trusted Certificate Authorities."

I rather like Cormac Herley's paper:

  http://preview.tinyurl.com/yko7lhg
  So Long, And No Thanks for the Externalities:
  The Rational Rejection of Security Advice by Users

which I cite here for this line:

  It is hard to blame users for not being interested in SSL
  and certificates when (as far as we can determine) 100% of
  all certificate errors seen by users are false positives.

--dan