Quantum Key Distribution: the bad idea that won't die...

John Lowry jlowry at bbn.com
Thu Apr 22 09:46:18 EDT 2010

On Apr 20, 2010, at 11:31 AM, Perry E. Metzger wrote:

> Via /., I saw the following article on ever higher speed QKD:
>
> http://www.wired.co.uk/news/archive/2010-04/19/super-secure-data-encryption-gets-faster.aspx
>
> Very interesting physics, but quite useless in the real world.
>
> I wonder why it is that, in spite of almost universal disinterest in the
> security community, quantum key distribution continues to be a subject
> of active technological development.
>
> Perry
> --
> Perry E. Metzger		perry at piermont.com

There have been many misattributions in the technological world
to include remarks supposedly made about 640K of memory, the number
of computers required for global processing needs, and the number of routers
that would eventually be required for internetworking.

Perry's claim has the property of actually having been said, so I will archive it.

My own speculation is that the security community and its interests are
perhaps a bit broader than than some members wish it were.

If you want to see some interesting physics that represents unexpected
results relevant to communications (and comes from entangled QKD research)
then take a look at: http://pra.aps.org/abstract/PRA/v81/i2/e023835

There is a human-readable summary at: http://focus.aps.org/story/v25/st7

John