FileVault on other than home directories on MacOS?

Steven Bellovin smb at cs.columbia.edu
Mon Sep 21 16:57:56 EDT 2009

Is there any way to use FileVault on MacOS except on home
directories?  I don't much want to use it on my home directory; it
doesn't play well with Time Machine (remember that availability is
also a security property); besides, different directories of mine have
different sensitivity levels.

I suppose I could install TrueCrypt (other suggestions or comments on
TrueVault?), but I prefer to minimize the amount of extra software I
have to maintain.