From Ivory Tower to Iron Bars: Scientists Risk Jail Time for Violating Export Laws

Alec Muffett alec.muffett at gmail.com
Fri Sep 18 05:32:20 EDT 2009

Perry: plasma physics is wildly OT but I believe the relevance will be
obvious to those who remember the crypto wars, especially when they
hit the fifth paragraph:
> It’s a difficult subject: many people I interviewed felt Roth showed
> blatant disregard for the law — he was warned  his work fell under
> the State Department’s munitions list — but they expressed deep
> frustration with the ambiguity of the laws.

http://www.wired.com/dangerroom/2009/09/from-ivory-tower-to-iron-bars-academics-risk-jail-time-for-violating-export-laws/

short: http://is.gd/3pd0d

"There but for the grace of Bernstein?"  Or something like that... :-)

	-a