Detecting attempts to decrypt with incorrect secret key in OWASP ESAPI

Joseph Ashwood ashwood at msn.com
Fri Sep 18 03:17:33 EDT 2009

From: "Kevin W. Wall" <kevin.w.wall at gmail.com>
Subject: Re: Detecting attempts to decrypt with incorrect secret key in
OWASP ESAPI

> So given these limited choices, what are the best options to the
> questions I posed in my original post yesterday? As Peter mentioned, we
> want to give web app developers something that will work out-of-the-box.

It isn't difficult to implement CMAC and CTR modes in pure Java. The NIST
specs for CMAC and CTR are plenty clear. You'll be looking for the
AES/ECB/NoPadding option. From there use update it returns a byte []. I've
used the standard JCE implementation in this way to implement unsupported
modes before, it works.
                    Joe