AES-CBC + Elephant diffuser

Eugen Leitl eugen at leitl.org
Thu Oct 29 09:24:54 EDT 2009

"We discuss why no existing cipher satisfies the requirements of this
application". Uh-oh.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=131dae03-39ae-48be-a8d6-8b0034c92555&DisplayLang=en

AES-CBC + Elephant diffuser

Brief Description

A Disk Encryption Algorithm for Windows Vista

The specifications of the AES-CBC + diffuser algorithm used in BitLocker
Drive Encryption

Overview

The Bitlocker Drive Encryption feature of Windows Vista poses an interesting
set of security and performance requirements on the encryption algorithm used
for the disk data. We discuss why no existing cipher satisfies the
requirements of this application and document our solution which consists of
using AES in CBC mode with a dedicated diffuser to improve the security
against manipulation attacks.