Trusted timestamping

Alex Pankratov ap at poneyhot.org
Wed Oct 7 01:21:19 EDT 2009

These players are sitting in the wrong place then. I have run
into a fairly well defined need for a timestamping service in
a graphic design community.

Interestingly enough they do not need the timestamps for the
courts, they need them more as a deterrent to a blatant theft
of their creative ideas.

If someone copies their work, verbosely or at a concept level,
then the clone is wortheless unless it can be sold or used as
a promotion vehicle. The copycat's goal is to get the copy
published in as many online galleries and auction/specwork
sites as possible, and the goal of the original author is to
prevent that from happening. At the moment the challenge
frequently boils down to searching through archive.org contents,
and using that as a proof of who was first.

In this context archive.org, clearly, serves as a coarse time
stamping service, implicitly trustworthy. There is obviously
a room for improvement, and that's why I asked what I asked.

Alex