Proper way to check for JCE Unlimited Strength Jurisdiction Policy files

Kevin W. Wall kevin.w.wall at gmail.com
Mon Nov 23 14:45:19 EST 2009

Hi list...hope there are some Java developers out there and that this is not
too off topic for this list's charter.

Does anyone know the *proper* (and portable) way to check if a Java VM is
using the Java Cryptography Extension (JCE) Unlimited Strength Jurisdiction
Policy files (e.g., for JDK 6, see
<https://cds.sun.com/is-bin/INTERSHOP.enfinity/WFS/CDS-CDS_Developer-Site/en_US/-/USD/ViewProductDetail-Start?ProductRef=jce_policy-6-oth-JPR@CDS-CDS_Developer>.)

I would like something that works with at least Java 5 and later and that does
not have any false positives or negatives. I also would _prefer_ some test
that does not require locating and parsing the policy files within the JVM's
installed JCE local_policy.jar and US_export_policy.jar files as that seems
kludgey and might not work with future JDKs.

My first thought was just to try a naive dummy encryption of a test string
using a 256-bit AES key. However, I realized that this might still succeed
without having the JCE Unlimited Strength Jurisdiction Policy files installed
if the JCE provider being used implemented some exemption mechanism (i.e., see
javax.crypto.ExemptionMechanism) such as key recovery, key weakening, or
key escrow.

Then I saw that javax.crypto.Cipher class has a getExemptionMechanism() method
that returns either an ExemptionMechanism object associated with the Cipher
object OR null if there is no exemption mechanism being used.  So I figured
I could then do the naive encryption of some dummy string using 256-bit
AES/CBC/NoPadding and if that succeeded AND cipher.getExemptionMechanism()
returned null, THEN I could assume that the JCE Unlimited Strength Jurisdiction
Policy files were installed. (When the default "strong" JCE jurisdiction
policy files are installed, the max allowed AES key size is 128-bits.)

Does that seem like a sound plan or is there more that I need to check? If
not, please explain what else I will need to do.

Thanks in advance,

-kevin wall
--
Kevin W. Wall
We cause accidents."        -- Nathaniel Borenstein, co-creator of MIME