TLS break

Victor Duchovni Victor.Duchovni at morganstanley.com
Mon Nov 16 12:27:52 EST 2009

On Wed, Nov 11, 2009 at 10:57:04AM -0500, Jonathan Katz wrote:

> Anyone care to give a "layman's" explanation of the attack? The
> explanations I have seen assume a detailed knowledge of the way TLS/SSL
> handle re-negotiation,

The re-negotiation handshake does not *commit* both parties in the
new handshake to the previous cryptographic state of the TLS connection.

If the man in the middle is willing to encrypt/decrypt handshake packets
between a client new to the connection, and a server with which the
MITM completed an earlier handshake, the MITM can "transfer" an existing
session from himself to the client (victim), after injecting some initial
data into the connection.

The integrity and confidentiality properties of the origimal MITM<->server
connection only protect both parties if neither party is willing to
compromise those properties by proxying a 3rd party into the session.

The new ingredient here, is that the 3rd party can be a victim, who is
unaware of the proxying. The victim's handshake with the intended server
is proxied into an already established TLS session by the MITM who is
privy to the session state.

The solution is to *commit* the two parties to a re-negotiation handshake
to the previous handshake.

--
	Viktor.