Warning! New cryptographic modes!

Jerry Leichter leichter at lrw.com
Sun May 10 18:55:28 EDT 2009

I recently stumbled across two attempts to solve a cryptographic
problem - which has lead to what look like rather unfortunate solutions.

The problem has to do with using rsync to maintain backups of
directories.  rsync tries to transfer a minimum of data by sending
only the differences between new and old versions of files.  Suppose,
however, that I want to keep my backup "in the cloud", and I don't
want to expose my data.  That is, what I really want to store is
encrypted versions of my files - and I don't want the server to be
able to decrypt, even as part of the transfer.  So what I do is
locally encrypt each file before trying to sync it.  However, using
CBC (apparently the only acceptable mode of operation), any change in
the file itself propagates to changes to the rest of encrypted file,
so rsync has to transfer the whole rest of the file.  The obvious
thing to do is to use a mode that doesn't propagate errors - at least
not too far.

This issue has been faced in the rsync world for compressed filesi n
the past:  If I try to minimize both byte transfers and space on the
remote system by compressing files before sending them, any adaptive
compression algorithm will tend to propagate a single-byte change to
the end of the file, forcing a big transfer.  The fix that's come be
be accepted - it's part of all recent versions of gzip (--rsync-
friendly option, or something like that) is to simply reset the
compression tables every so often.  (The actual algorithm is a bit
more clever:  It resets the algorithm whenever some number of bits of
a rolling checksum match a constant.  This allow resynchronization
after insertions or deletions.)

Given this history, both murk (http://murk.sourceforge.net/) and
rsyncrypto (http://sourceforge.net/projects/rsyncrypto/) seem to do
the same basic thing:  Use CBC, but regularly reset the IV.  Neither
project documents their actual algorithm; a quick look at the murk
code suggests that it encrypts 8K blocks using CBC and an IV computed
as the CRC of the block.  There also seems to be some kind of
authentication checksum done, but it's not entirely clear what.

So here we have it all:  A new cryptographic mode, documented only in
C code, being proposed for broad use with no analysis.

In any case, there are obvious, well-understood solutions here:  Use
counter mode, which propagates changes by a single block of the
cryptosystem.  Or use any other stream cipher mode.  (An interesting
question is whether there's a mode that will recover from insertions
or deletions.  Perhaps something like:  Use counter mode.  If two
consecutive ciphertext bytes are 0, fill the rest of the ciphertext
block with 0's, jump the counter by 65536, and insert a special block
containing the new counter value.)
                                                        -- Jerry