[tahoe-dev] SHA-1 broken!

Thomas Coppi thisnukes4u at gmail.com
Mon May 4 20:05:52 EDT 2009

On Sun, May 3, 2009 at 4:35 PM, Christian Rechberger
<christian.rechberger at tugraz.at> wrote:
> The design of DES facilitates this kind of throughput/cost gains on FPGAs.
>
> Remember that the MD4 family (incl. SHA-1) was designed to be efficient on
> 32-bit CPUs. For these hash functions, it is much harder to get a
> throughput/cost gain on FPGAs compared to off-the-shelf CPUs. At least, this
> was my conclusion when I quickly looked into this a few years ago.

The NSA at Home project(http://nsa.unaligned.org/) seems to do it pretty well.
He even provides the optimized SHA-1 and MD5 Verilog code used.  This only works
because straight-up bruteforce requires little memory, though. If the new
SHA-1 break requires significant memory usage I don't think something
like the COPACOBANA can help.

Regards,
--
Thomas Coppi