Judge orders defendant to decrypt PGP-protected laptop

James S. Tyre jstyre at jstyre.com
Tue Mar 3 15:08:55 EST 2009

At 02:45 PM 3/3/2009 -0500, Steven M. Bellovin wrote:
>On Tue, 03 Mar 2009 13:53:50 -0500
>"Perry E. Metzger" <perry at piermont.com> wrote:
> >
> > I'll repeat: the law is not like a computer program. Courts operate on
> > reasonableness standards and such, not on literal interpretation of
> > the law. If it is obvious to you and me that a disk has multiple
> > encrypted views, then you can't expect that a court will not be able
> > to understand this and take appropriate action, like putting you in a
> > cage.
> >
>Indeed.  Let me point folks at
>http://www.freedom-to-tinker.com/blog/paul/being-acquitted-versus-being-searched-yanal
>-- which was in fact written by a real lawyer, a former prosecutor who
>is now a law professor.

Thanks Steve.  As you know, of course, IAARL.  And I know and have
worked with Paul.  I don't normally do me-too posts, and I don't
normally post to this list at all; but I do want to me too
this.  I've been pointing folks to Paul's piece since the day (a
weeks ago) he first published it, it's well worth reading.

-Jim

James S. Tyre                                      jstyre at jstyre.com
Law Offices of James S. Tyre          310-839-4114/310-839-4602(fax)
10736 Jefferson Blvd., #512               Culver City, CA 90230-4969
Co-founder, The Censorware Project             http://censorware.net
Policy Fellow, Electronic Frontier Foundation     http://www.eff.org