Judge orders defendant to decrypt PGP-protected laptop

Stephan Somogyi cryptography at lt.gross.net
Tue Mar 3 13:35:48 EST 2009

At 13:08 -0500 03.03.2009, Adam Fields wrote:

>When compelled to give out your password

Unless I'm misunderstanding the ruling, Boucher is not being
compelled to produce his passphrase (like he could under RIPA Section
49 in the UK), but he is being told to produce the unencrypted
contents of the drive.

Assuming I'm interpreting the ruling correctly, this seems little
different than a judge approving a search warrant for a residence,
whose execution could produce incriminating evidence that is usable
in court.

There is a chasm of difference between being compelled to produce
keys, which could be subsequently reused with other encrypted
material, and being compelled to produce specific unencrypted data,
which is much more narrowly scoped and therefore less intrusive.

s.