X.509 certificate overview + status

Peter Saint-Andre stpeter at stpeter.im
Mon Mar 2 19:05:28 EST 2009

Travis wrote:

> Recently I set up certificates for my server's SSL, SMTP, IMAP, XMPP,
> and OpenVPN services.  Actually, I created my own CA for some of the
> certificates, and in other cases I used self-signed.

<plug>

BTW, we give away free certificates for XMPP services here:

http://xmpp.org/ca/

The root CA is StartCom, which is accepted in Mozilla, OS X, and various
other cert stores. I've noticed that these certs are becoming quite
popular on the XMPP network (plus, they result none of those cert
warnings that scare of normal users).

</plug>

Peter

--