Activation protocol for tracking devices

Santiago Aguiar santiago.aguiar at gmail.com
Mon Mar 2 15:47:04 EST 2009

John Ioannidis wrote:
> Just don't do it.  If you are going to spend your energy on anything,
> it should be to work against such a plan.
I would agree, but I fear that a "this is never going to work, drop it"
will be less heard than any effort in at least trying to raise the bar
for an attack.

The previous proposed solution at the work group was that the service
provider 'configured' the device with an authentication 'word' upon
activation an made sure that that 'word' was always present on each
message to authenticate it. The only benefit I can see in it (that could
very likely been accepted if no one objected) is that is so simple that
all bugs are obvious...

But I accept that the false sense of security of a complex scheme that
is broken somewhere _maybe_ worse than an obviously wrong solution...

Santiago.