The latest Flash vulnerability and monoculture

Jerry Leichter leichter at lrw.com
Sun Jul 26 23:09:38 EDT 2009

On Jul 26, 2009, at 2:27 PM, Perry E. Metzger wrote:
> ...[T]here is an exploitable hole in
> Adobe's "Flash" right now, and there is no fix available yet....
> This highlights an unfortunate instance of monoculture -- nearly
> everyone on the internet uses Flash for nearly all the video they
> watch,
> so just about everyone in the world is using a binary module from a
> single vendor day in, day out.
>
> This is a bit of a wakeup call -- the use of standards based
> technologies to deliver content to users would likely have led to
> multiple implementations being in wide use, which would at least
> mitigate such problems.
While I agree with the sentiment and the theory, I'm not sure that it
really works that way.  How many actual implementations of typical
protocols are there?  With open source, once there's a decent
implementation, there's little
incentive for anyone to start from scratch on an independent one.  Why
not just improve the one that's already there?

One way or another, a single implementation usually wins out in the
OSS community.  Even if along the way a competition - based on code
size or speed or whatever - breaks out between two implementations, in
the long one someone usually takes the best from both and produces the
ultimate "winner".

So while standard, openly defined protocols *make it possible* for
multiple OSS implementations to thrive, they certainly don't
*guarantee* it, and in many cases that's just not what we end up with.

In fact, the scenario most likely to produce multiple *usable*
implementations is probably:  An open protocol, and multiple *closed
source* competing implementations.  As an example, not of a protocol,
but of another kind of software - consider C compilers.  There
continues to be a market for proprietary C compilers, and quite a few
of them exist.  In the OSS world, gcc dominates.  (Perhaps a new LLVM-
based compiler will displace it - though more likely gcc will just
absorb LLVM as an alternate back end.  That hardly leave behind all
gcc bugs.)

In the hardware world, one is typically very leery of buying from a
sole-source supplier.  It's common to require that the vendor who
developed some new chip license someone else to build the thing, too -
just in case.  (Of course, if you buy a couple of hundred chips a year
from Intel, you're not going to have much luck getting them to work
with you.  But the *big* buyers definitely force second sourcing when
they can.  It would be nice if Flash users told Adobe "find someone to
do another implementation or we stop using Flash."  But since the
space of Flash users has two components - those who *produce* Flash,
who generally won't care about this; and those who use it to get light
- it's difficult to generate such pressures.  The Flash generators
don't have any reason to care about this, and the users of Flash files
- who pay nothing - have little leverage unless they serious follow
through on a strike plan.
                                                         -- Jerry