112-bit prime ECDLP solved

Zooko Wilcox-O'Hearn zooko at zooko.com
Sun Jul 19 20:06:41 EDT 2009

On Sunday,2009-07-19, at 13:24 , Paul Hoffman wrote:

> At 7:54 AM -0600 7/18/09, Zooko Wilcox-O'Hearn wrote:
>> This involves deciding whether a 192-bit elliptic curve public key
>> is strong enough...
>
> Why not just go with 256-bit EC (128-bit symmetric strength)? Is
> the 8 bytes per signature the issue, or the extra compute time?

Those are two good guesses, but no.  The main concern is the size of
the public key.  This is why (if I understand correctly),
hyperelliptic curves might eventually offer public key signatures
which are twice as good for the purposes of TahoeLAFS as elliptic
curves.  (By which I mean, the keys are half as big.)  I discussed
this topic a bit in a subsequent message to the cryptography mailing
list entitled "Why hyperelliptic curves?".

Actually, the computation time matters, too.  Our measurements on an
ARM 266 MHz embedded system showed a significant penalty for 256-bit
ECDSA vs. 192-bit:

http://allmydata.org/pipermail/tahoe-dev/2009-June/002083.html

Regards,

Zooko