112-bit prime ECDLP solved

James A. Donald jamesd at echeque.com
Thu Jul 16 02:31:56 EDT 2009

Tanja Lange wrote:
> So with about 1 000 000 USD and a full year you would get 122 bits
> already now and agencies have a bit more budget than this! Furthermore,
> the algorithm parallelizes extremely well and can handle a batch of 100
> targets at only 10 times the cost.

No it cannot handle a bunch of a hundred targets at only ten times the
cost.  It is already parallelized.  A hundred targets is a hundred times
the cost.

But let us not think small.  Suppose the president says "Break James
Donald's key.  I don't care how much it costs.  The sky is the limit"
and they devote the entire US gross national product for a year to
breaking James Donald's key in a year.

Then they can break a 170 bit key.

But I rather doubt that they will.