HSM outage causes root CA key loss

Weger, B.M.M. de b.m.m.d.weger at TUE.nl
Wed Jul 15 14:04:27 EDT 2009

Hi,

>>Our current Server CA certificate will expire in 2026 (when hopefully it
>>won't be my problem!).
>
>Thus the universal CA root cert lifetime policy, "the lifetime of a CA root
>certificate is the time till retirement of the person in charge at its
>creation, plus five years" :-).

This neglects the not entirely unlikely possibility that long before your retirement
some clever person will have broken your cryptographic hash function or
signature scheme.

I once saw a document refering to a PKI with a proposed certificate lifetime
of 100 years. Those people really care about their grandchildren.

Grtz,
Benne