Crypto Craft Knowledge

Cat Okita cat at reptiles.org
Tue Feb 24 12:33:43 EST 2009

On Tue, 17 Feb 2009, James Hughes wrote:
> I find this conversation off the point. Consider other trades like
> woodworking. There is no FAQ that can be created that would be applicable to
> building a picture frame, dining room table or a covered bridge. A FAQ for
> creating a picture frame would be possible, but this is not the FAQ that is
> being discussed.

You're thinking at the wrong level.

There are definitely FAQs that are applicable to building a picture
frame, a dining room table, or a covered bridge.

Woodworking FAQs can (and do) exist to teach basic skills, like sawing and
measuring wood, different ways to join bits of wood together, and what
types of join are most appropriate for what type of task.  Further, there
are discussions about things like load and stress, and what designs and
materials are best suited to what applications.

The same applies for implementing crypto -- teach the building blocks,
issues and judgement points required for good understanding and
implementation.

Ultimately it doesn't matter if they're building a picture frame, a
dining room table, or a covered bridge, as you've put it -- the skills,
materials and judgement of what to use where are what matters.

cheers!