The password-reset paradox

Peter Gutmann pgut001 at cs.auckland.ac.nz
Thu Feb 19 08:36:17 EST 2009

There are a variety of password cost-estimation surveys floating around that
put the cost of password resets at $100-200 per user per year, depending on
which survey you use (Gartner says so, it must be true).

You can get OTP tokens as little as $5.  Barely anyone uses them.

Can anyone explain why, if the cost of password resets is so high, banks and
the like don't want to spend $5 (plus one-off background infrastructure costs
and whatnot) on a token like this?

(My guess is that the password-reset cost estimates are coming from the same
place as software and music piracy figures, but I'd still be interested in any
information anyone can provide).

Peter.